Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:53:32 -0500 (CDT)

Jerome Marant wrote:

   Selon Rob Browning <address@hidden>:

   > So while I don't have any special attachment to the X.Y.Z numbering
   > scheme, it's at least one way to fix both those problems.

   It brings some consistency to version numbering at least. If noone
   objects (Stefan won't :-), we'll adopt this scheme.

After grepping for `emacs-version', it appears that changing the
current convention would require checking a surprisingly *huge* amount
of code.  A non-trivial amount of code will probably have to be
rewritten.  version.el definitely would have to be rewritten.  This is
a small file.  But it would then in turn force rewriting all kind of
other stuff, spread all over the place.  Many third party packages may
get broken, as they tend to check for emacs-version a lot and rely on
the current conventions.

Sincerely,

Luc.