Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:35:59 -0400

>> I think the issue of whether we can do 2 or not is mostly irrelevant:
>> if the pretests take too much time, then we necessarily won't make them
>> more often.  I.e. if it works it works and if it doesn't, then it works
>> as before.  I don't see what's to discuss.

> But if people think this change in the management of bugfix releases
> is a good thing, aren't they going to do everything for it to succeed?
> Let's clarify: we do propose to add more manpower for doing the
> "dirty job" (honestly, noone loves tracking bugs), but it will never
> work without a little cooperation from Emacs developers.
> Can I have a guaranty that I'll never be pissed off or ignored on
> blocking situations? ("go fuck yourself! You wanted to do the job,
> you'll have to do this without us!")

I don't expect any such problem.  The worst I expect is that you might
sometimes be prevented from installing a bugfix because it's not "good
enough" (which is something that happens all the time anyway).
Also sometimes things won't go as fast as you'd like.

In order for you not to be frustrated, I think the best option is to take it
slow: after all, the process already exists, and you're just offering to
help out, so you can start by just systematically submitting the patches
that you'd like to apply to Debian's tree (so they get installed in RC),
then regularly bug people to remind them that we should get the next pretest
started, ...

        Stefan