Re: C-c C-{l,r} in Enriched mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: C-c C-{l,r} in Enriched mode.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:53:31 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       But when used in conjunction with Outline mode, Enriched mode
       overrides Outline mode's C-c C-l (`hide-leaves') binding.

       Should `set-{left,right}-margin' in Enriched mode be rebound?

   It sounds like a good argument.  What new bindings do you suggest?

That does not seem that easy.  If we want C-c followed by a non
alphanumeric, non control character that suggests a left or right
margin in some way, then I only see `C-c [' for `set-left-margin' and
`C-c ]' for `set-right-margin'.  I am not sure whether these conflict
with other minor modes.  A problem may be that [ and ] are used for
left (or backward) and right (or forward) _motion_ in other contexts
(like `C-x [' and `C-x ]').

As an alternative, we could have `C-c M-l' and `C-c M-r', but C-c M-r is
already used by comint related modes and Eshell (as Alex pointed out).
I believe that, unlike outline-mode, enriched-mode is not really
supposed to be compatible with those modes, so maybe these two
bindings could be acceptable.  There are `C-c M-L' and `C-c M-R', but
those do not seem very convenient to type.

Sincerely,

Luc.