Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:22:53 +0200

Quoting Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

> >> I think the issue of whether we can do 2 or not is mostly irrelevant:
> >> if the pretests take too much time, then we necessarily won't make them
> >> more often.  I.e. if it works it works and if it doesn't, then it works
> >> as before.  I don't see what's to discuss.
>
> > But if people think this change in the management of bugfix releases
> > is a good thing, aren't they going to do everything for it to succeed?
> > Let's clarify: we do propose to add more manpower for doing the
> > "dirty job" (honestly, noone loves tracking bugs), but it will never
> > work without a little cooperation from Emacs developers.
> > Can I have a guaranty that I'll never be pissed off or ignored on
> > blocking situations? ("go fuck yourself! You wanted to do the job,
> > you'll have to do this without us!")
>
> I don't expect any such problem.  The worst I expect is that you might
> sometimes be prevented from installing a bugfix because it's not "good
> enough" (which is something that happens all the time anyway).
> Also sometimes things won't go as fast as you'd like.

I've told many time that we won't apply patches without emacs-devel
consents. Usually, by reading the list, you'll notice that we often
forward bug reports and patches to the list. Sometimes we write
patches ourselves for our users.

> In order for you not to be frustrated, I think the best option is to take it
> slow: after all, the process already exists, and you're just offering to
> help out, so you can start by just systematically submitting the patches
> that you'd like to apply to Debian's tree (so they get installed in RC),
> then regularly bug people to remind them that we should get the next pretest
> started, ...

Ok, I see. You are worried about giving CVS access to people with a
too low level of trust.
Well, no matter. The less I do, the more you have to. Maybe will you
manage to prove that it's not worth it because it requires too much
manpower from emacs-devel.
As I said, we are already doing the work of collecting patches (backporting,
and testing) for our users.

--
Jérôme Marant