Emacs installer for MS Windows - where to put it?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Emacs installer for MS Windows - where to put it?
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:06:16 +0200

After some work and delays I have a beta version of an installer for Emacs
for MS Windows. I now want some advice of where to put the sources.

I do not know if it could be put on Savannah. The installer comes in two
flavors:

1) Without Emacs itself. In this case for example
emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tag.gz have to be downloaded separately. The
installer tells where this can be found and unpacks it. The unpacking is
done with 7za.exe from 7-zip (which I got Ivan Pavlovs permission to use for
this).

2) A more normal installer including Emacs itself.

Those two versions are buildt from the same sources. 7-zip is free software
(GNU LPGL, it is on SourceForge.net). The build process uses Inno Setup,
Emacs and cmd.exe.

I intend to include 7za.exe in both versions since it could for example be
used to install elisp docs. This part is not yet written and I wonder if
there are any elisp modules for that (probably using GNU/Linux or unix
tools) that could be rewritten for MS Windows to use 7za.exe for the
unpacking.

- Lennart