Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:27:04 +0200

> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:09:04 +0200
> From: =?iso-8859-1?b?Suly9G1l?= Marant <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I've never said there wouldn't be any pretest phase.
> I'm saying that pretesting a bugfix release is different from
> pretesting a major release; it is shorter at least.

Shorter in practice, yes.  But since the process of pretesting is not
a formal one, we don't have any ways to modify that process for bugfix
releases.  We simply let pretesters use the release candidate and
report any problems.

> I'll also in favour of test cases we can replay every time we
> add new patches. Since emacs is able to run in batch, there is
> no reason no to do so.

Alas, there's no test suite for Emacs.  We discussed this in the past,
so you can find in the archives why it is difficult to come up with
such a test suite (display testing is one problem).

Of course it would be good to have such a suite, but we don't.