Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:44:44 +0300

>     But then Juri pointed out that several other problems needed to be
>     solved before this could be implemented.  I believe you then decided
>     that these other problems should be solved.
>
> Can you find what those other problems were?
> Do they apply to the precise proposal which is to do this with ?,
> rather than with *?

The main problem I see is that special text properties may not be
visible to the user (remember the recent problem with help-argument-name
where italics is not displayed in some fonts).  It makes this feature
quite dangerous if the command doesn't do what the user sees on the
command line in the minibuffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/