RE: isearch transient msgs (e.g. case insensitive) - users to be ableto

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch transient msgs (e.g. case insensitive) - users to be ableto adjust the sit-for time
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:45:16 -0700

emacs -q

C-s M-c

See thread below. The solution is probably to use a user option for the
sit-for time, instead of hardcoding it. There is some disagreement about
which user option to use.

From: Miles Bader [mailto:address@hidden

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 11:19:09PM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
>  Actually, there are only two such places:
> `isearch-toggle-case-fold' and `isearch-complete'.  I think that
> `minibuffer-message-timeout' is an appropriate user option for them:

No, `minibuffer-message-timeout' means something different -- it's the
timeout for messages which _overwrite_ the minibuffer, which are quite
different than messages that are appended to it (namely that overriting the
minibuffer in the first place is a completely sucky UI, and a user may want
to make its duration very short, but keep appended messages for a long
time).