Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: ! in Dired--what was the outcome?
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:43:45 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

       Actually, the problem concerned mainly `?'.  So if we decide to stick
       with this solution (assuming somebody would be willing to implement it
       and solve all other problems that need to be solved first to make it
       work), it would actually be `?' that should be bound as described
       above.  `*' could either be left alone or bound similarly with a
       display property of "<list of files>" or whatever.

   Would you like to try implementing this?

I am already doing too many things at the same time.  Apart from the
problems Juri pointed out, there also is the problem that it makes
using wildcards with M-! more cumbersome.  Note that the problem we
are trying to fix with the above is not encountered very often and
there are trivial _other_ ways to fix it, with a very minor change to
a regexp.  It is not even clear that these trivial ways are really
inferior.

Note however that if somebody else is willing to implement the above
more involved solution, while taking care of Juri's objections, then I
by no means object to that.

Sincerely,

Luc.