RE: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars p

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars present
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 11:12:39 -0700

I'm not surprised that this was not thought of :-).

[ BTW, at one point with Emacs 20 (or 19?) I discovered by chance that I
could bind that small square using `nil' as the key! Later this hack
possibility was removed:
(global-set-key [nil down-mouse-1] 'shrink-frame-to-fit) ]

Anyway... I think you mean the two mode-line characters next to  the scroll
bar. In my case, the scroll bar is on the right, so these would be the last
(rightmost) two characters.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying:

1. Leave the mode line extended under the scroll bar.
2. But change the part of it that is under the scroll bar to show a
drag-handle graphic (image/glyph), indicating that you can drag that spot.

Is that right? If so, that's not a bad suggestion. And it would satisfy
Kim's criterion that we visually associate the scroll bar with its window. I
had been complaining that the drag handle had nothing to do with
(activating) the mode line, but I think your proposal is a good one.

I can take a look at this, if no one else is interested in hacking it.  It
would be better, however, for someone already familiar with programming the
new mode line to take a crack at it. I'll see what I can do, when I get some
time. If this is simple to do, then someone please send the few lines of
code needed.

Also, is it straightforward to use something like the drag-handle mouse
pointer as the glyph for those two mode-line characters? Suggestions
appreciated.

Thanks,

  Drew