Re: Key definitions and national keyboards

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Key definitions and national keyboards
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 01:59:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>
To: "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden>

:     Quite often I found I want to use something in Emacs that is bound to
a key
:     I can't use on my swedish keyboard. For example indent-region might be
on
:     C-M-\ and that is not accessible on a swedish keyboard.
:
: Why is that?  Is there no way to type C-\?

Not as far as I can see.

:     What are your thoughts about these problems? Is there any thoughts on
:     language specifik keyboard files for adjusting things like that? Can
it be
:     done?
:
: I think we can't afford to try to worry about these issues.

I did, since I am using a swedish keyboard on a pc with AltGr ;-)

I have uploaded altgr.el to http://www.emacswiki.org/ with a workaround for
the problem. I just redefine keys which are on AltGr (like \) in
funktion-key-map to use another key when the keyboard event is modified is
modified with control or meta. There are structures in the file for entering
new language specific modifiers. I will encourage other users to enhance the
file with something suitable for their specific language keyboard.

I believe altgr.el could be loaded by the setup-function in
language-info-alist, but I do not know if this is the right place?

- Lennart