Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars p

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars present
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:33:25 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> The idea is to have something that visually indicates what this small spot
> is for. Are you suggesting a different glyph (fine) or none at all? Or what?

I don't know; I'm mainly concerned that it not draw attention to itself.
A different glyph might be suitable, but at least on my system, the drag
cursor is quite large and noticeable.

I don't think that it's easy to get cursor glyphs from X, so I guess
it'd have to be a custom bitmap anyway.

> Let see ... something that no one can see has rarely been used...
> Can you say "self-fulfilling retro-prophecy"?

It doesn't matter.  This feature is not so important that it's worth
making general emacs usage worse to "advertise it"; if it's useful,
people will find it via documentation (incl. tool-tips) and word of
mouth anyway.

Of course, it would be best if there's a compromise:  For instance, a
much lighter-weight version of the usual drag cursor, or something that
looks like the sort of "grab-handle" Gnome themes usually use.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche