Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars p

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars present
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:20:58 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm open wrt what symbol to use, and I'm not arguing that it be obtrusive. I
> don't think we disagree.

Personally, I don't think a symbol is needed ...

Admittedly, it is not very intuitive that you can drag the small line
between mode lines, but the cursor does change to a <-> arrow when over
that line.

It would be much better if we could find a way to just drag the
scroll-bar.

One way would be to always make a tiny area between windows that you
could drag.  But unless we do it by reducing the qscroll bar width,
that would take away space that is now used for text display.

> My question was really about how to do this. I have no experience with the
> new mode line or using bitmaps etc. I'll consult the Emacs doc (when I get
> around to this), but if someone has a pointer or two now, it would be
> appreciated.

You can easily make a drag-able area to the left of the modeline, but
one problem with this is that the lisp code expects to be using the
window on the left side of the vertical line, not the right window --
you would have to modify the lisp code to deal with this.

It is much harder (impossible) to make a drag-able area to the right
of the modeline, as there is no fixed right edge of the modeline at the
lisp level [the modeline is simply truncated by redisplay].

But I think we have bigger issues to think about for the next release,
so I suggest that we postpone this discussion...