Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:26:16 -0400

> Actually now that I think about it, at least for those packaging
> Emacs, it's somewhat critical.  Right now Debian pacakges Emacs as
> emacsXY where XY is the major number (i.e. emacs19, emacs21, etc.).
> This is done under the assumption that only a change in XY signals the
> potential for major breakage.

While I mostly agree that we should change emacs-major-version for
non-bug-fix releases, I think that limitations of specific packaging systems
are not a motivating factor.

I actually think that your problems should cause you to reconsider the
design of the packaging system since such problems surely happen with other
packages as well.

        Stefan "who's generally disappointed by the poor support for
                multiple concurrently installed versions of a single package
                in most package systems"