Re: info faces for strings and quotations

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: info faces for strings and quotations
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:25:08 -0500 (CDT)

Drew Adams wrote:

   So, what do you and others think of the _desirability_ of (optionally)
   highlighting quoted expressions in Info?

Info files are essentially plain text with some minimal markup that is
intended for navigation, not highlighting.  So I believe that there is
no way that one can do what you are trying to do completely reliably
any more than that it is possible to implement
Info-hide-note-references completely reliably.  To do that, one would
need to base the Emacs Info reader on the XML output format instead of
on the Info output format.  (Maybe somebody might actually do that
some day.)

So I would suggest that if any feature like this is added to the Emacs
Info reader, that it should be done as a user option, that is off by
default.  Also, the docstring should explicitly mention that it
occasionally can lead to anomalous highlighting.

Sincerely,

Luc.