Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:07:46 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

>> The only plea I'd like to make is that if possible, Emacs use some
>> versioning strategy where there's at least one number or numbers
>> that changes iff substantial backward compatibility is introduced.
>
> Oh, and I wasn't trying to imply in the above that Emacs hasn't been
> doing that.  From at least the packaging perspective, my impression is
> that so far, Emacs has.

>From a packaging point of view, 21.4 (or 22.1) includes the following:

** Leim is now part of the Emacs distribution.
You no longer need to download a separate tarball in order to build
Emacs with Leim.

** The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual is now part of the distribution.

** The Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp manual is now part of
the distribution.

** The `emacsserver' program has been removed, replaced with elisp code.

New Lisp packages included with emacs:

dns-mode, flymake, tree-widget, wdired thumbs, python, url, ido, cua,
kmacro, printing, calc, tramp, ruler-mode, ibuffer, table, ses,
syntax, gdb-ui, bindat, buttons, master-mode.

Updated packages: gnus, mh-e.

rmail will use mbox format rather than babyl  (not on trunk yet).

Besides, emacs 21.4 can be biult with GTK+ support -- I don't know if
you would want to distribute two versions in Debian (with and without
GTK).