Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:12:12 +0200

> From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:40:36 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> So we wanted to see if together with emacs-devel, we could come up
> with a way to make those releases more publically available, so that
> others can benefit from the improvements on a shorter timescale than
> that of traditional emacs releases.
>
> One way to do that might be for Emacs CVS to have a "branch" (or
> whatever) that only allowed *really* uncontroversial bugfixes, and
> hence was supposed to be nearly ready for release all the time.

That's how Emacs is being maintained since v21.1: there's a bug-fix
branch where only safe changes are being made.  The last version
released from that branch is 21.3.

How frequent can releases be made from that branch is another
question, and the answer depends mostly on how the pretest phase is
handled.