[rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils
Date: 06 Oct 2004 23:38:54 +0200

> So if you would like them to be installed someday, how about
> starting to send us diffs?

OK, let's start with the mail-utils.el, because it is used a lot
in Rmail.

Before I send diffs, I'd like to clear some general questions.

For example, the original implementation of `mail-[un]quote-printable'
functions is too limited.  I suppose that this is desired:

(defun mail-quote-printable (string &optional wrapper)
 "Encode the STRING in such a way that the resulting octets are unlikely to
be modified by mail transport.  Defined by RFC 2045.
If the optional argument WRAPPER is non-nil, decorate the resulting string
with =?charset?Q?....?=, as defined by RFC 2047."
 (if wrapper
     (rfc2047-encode-string string)
   (rfc2045-quoted-printable-encode-string string)))

Now, there are many other functions and constants which are defined by
some RFCs and I have implemented them in such a way:

mime/
  rfc2045.el (13 functions)
  rfc2047.el (11 functions)
  rfc2231.el (7 functions)
  (some other less important files)

Functions in these files have corresponding `rfcXXXX-' prefix.
Functions of general use have aliases like this:
  (defalias 'mime-is-conformant 'rfc2045-is-conformant)
  (defalias 'quoted-printable-encode-string
'rfc2045-quoted-printable-encode-string)

Is this OK?

I would propose to add this new `mime' directory into
$EMACSROOT/lisp/mail/, but there are files named:

 rfc2045.el
 rfc2047.el
 rfc2231.el

in $EMACSROOT/lisp/gnus/ directory already.  While it's easy to merge
two versions of rfc2045.el, rfc2047.el is more troublesome.
The gnus/rfc2047.el file contains something like this:

 (require 'mm-util)
 ;; Fixme: Avoid this (used for mail-parse-charset) mm dependence on gnus.
 (require 'mail-prsvr)
 (require 'base64)
 (autoload 'mm-body-7-or-8 "mm-bodies")

and I decided that I better not merge pure RFC-defined functionality
with GNUS-specific functions.

What's your decision on this?

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44