RE: pop-up tool-bar

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: pop-up tool-bar
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 12:01:01 -0700

Hi Miguel,

I see the pb. Good catch.

First, the name "Tool Bar" in the menu-bar. I don't know; I used to feel
like you do. Now I figure that since mouseover now highlights the
button/menu, there is no problem. Plus, the spacing between menus is
generally more than a single space, so it's not too difficult to parse,
visually. And ToolBar or Toolbar looks ugly to me. I suppose that if there's
a standard convention regarding this I should change the name - is there?.

Second, I don't understand your "Maybe..." paragraph. Is that related to the
pb you mentioned, or is it a different topic? Are you perhaps suggesting
here to disable the Tool Bar menu item, rather than hide it?

 - If so, yes, that could be done, but I think it's better to get rid of it
altogether - at least in the case where someone uses tool-bar-mode (shows
tool-bar everywhere all the time). Currently, if you turn off tool-bar-mode,
"Tool Bar" appears (assuming tool-bar-here-mode is on); if you turn on
tool-bar-mode, "Tool Bar" disappears. That makes sense to me.

 - If not, if this is a proposed solution to the selection pb, then disable
what button? when?

Third, in terms of the inadvertent selection pb: I don't have a good
solution. How can the tool-bar be hidden after the mouse-up event takes
place? The hiding needs to take place in the same command that shows it (and
that pushes the next event back onto unread-command-events).

The mouse-up event is two events removed from the event that triggers
command show-tool-bar-for-one-command: 1) click Tool Bar, 2) mouse-down, 3)
mouse-up. The Tool Bar click shows, then hides, the tool-bar, but the hiding
doesn't take place until the mouse-down.

I tried doing things like (if transient-mark-mode (deactivate-mark)) in the
unwind-protect (to not show the inadvertent selection), but that didn't
help. There's probably a simple solution I'm not seeing. Anyone?

Thanks for the pb report,

 - Drew