Re: dired-view-command-alist

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: dired-view-command-alist
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:48:48 +0300

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
> I think the now-standard way for providing a "default" value is to
> make it accessible via M-n.  Perhaps dired could make several commands
> accessible via M-n?  M-n once would get the default one, M-n twice
> would get the next one and so on.

I already provided a patch for that some time ago:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-05/msg01755.html

and Richard agreed to install it if the manual and NEWS are updated
accordingly.  But I haven't installed it yet because I started to
look for other places where multiple default values could be useful.
So far I collected a few cases like C-x b providing a list of recent
buffers accessible via M-n (which required some changes in .c and .h
files) and so on.

I think the best plan for now is to install basic changes with updates
in NEWS and documentation, and consider patches for separate cases later.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/