Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 21:25:25 -0400

      Another possibility is to
    make a new data ELF section that contains the copied heap, and has the
    correct address.  If this is feasible I don't really know, but I think
    it is (I am not an ELF expert).

That should be possible, if one studies the ELF specs.

    Currently we run temacs like this
    % setarch i386 ./temacs ...

What about running temacs this way whenever setarch exists?
If the makefile checks for the existence of setarch just before
it runs temacs, or tries first to run it using setarch and then
tries without setarch as a fallback, that would also do the job.
After all, running temacs has to be done on the actual target
platform, and then setarch ought to be available if it is needed.

Another idea: can `main' contain code to move its heap address to the
desired place, at startup?