Re: buffering of process output

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: buffering of process output
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:09:16 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> So I wonder if X somehow causes read from a pipe to buffer things
> differently [line buffering perhaps] (or the pipe to be setup
> differently)?

It doesn't.  It's because there is no call to XFlush during the read loop
in call-process.  See the comment in xterm.c:

/* Remove calls to XFlush by defining XFlush to an empty replacement.
   Calls to XFlush should be unnecessary because the X output buffer
   is flushed automatically as needed by calls to XPending,
   XNextEvent, or XWindowEvent according to the XFlush man page.
   XTread_socket calls XPending.  Removing XFlush improves
   performance.  */

Thus redisplay_preserve_echo_area does not call XFlush any more.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany