Re: vc-version-other-window

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: vc-version-other-window
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:38:11 -0400

>> Would it be useful to release a patched version of OpenSSH?
>     And what happens when they release a newer (unpatched) version one month
>     later with some security fix?  Forking like that is not really an option
>     I think.

> We can certainly handle that.  We need someone reliable to do a small
> amount of work occasionally when needed.

But to be useful, we need to convince distributions to that fork
of OpenSSH.  That just doesn't seem practical.

>     What is needed is for the glibc, cvs, and openssh people to stop
>     finger-pointing and to work together at coming up with a fix.

> However, if someone send them a fix, and it has no practical costs, they
> might install it.  Are you in touch with the relevant people; could you
> ask them to try to do this?  Have they already done this?

As far as I know, the problem can be fixed at various places.  Within CVS
it's inconvenient because it requires something similar to the cvs-ssh
wrapper (but there were noises on the info-cvs list that they were maybe
going to implement such a workaround anyway).  IIRC it can be fixed in the
libc as well (IIRC the problem there is to make sure that `fwrite' on
a non-blocking file descriptor works reliably).

        Stefan