address@hidden: char-table-extra-slot display bug]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: char-table-extra-slot display bug]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:18:16 -0400

Is someone looking at this bug?

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 07:13:05 +0200
From: address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer)
To: emacs-pretest-bug <address@hidden>
Subject: char-table-extra-slot display bug
Sender: address@hidden

Hi,

I do

(setq standard-display-table (make-display-table))
(set-char-table-extra-slot standard-display-table 3
                           (+ (lsh (face-id 'secondary-selection) 19) ?^))

to make ^ in control characters stand out.  (I've also got \, ..., sticky
space and soft hyphen that way, with the same effect.)

If a line gets wrapped, such that the special character is the first on the
continuation line, the rest of the visible buffer part will be in
secondary-selection.

If there are more special characters further down, this face will go on and
off for "random" (i.e. not understood) stretches.  They vary when I edit in
between.

Apart from this diplay bug, I find this feature so useful, it should be on by
default with a dedicated face.  Otherwise it's so obscure, few people will
find out about it.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

- --
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz si?    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/