Re: displaying 8bit characters octal sequences

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: displaying 8bit characters octal sequences
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:58:03 +0200

On Mon Oct 11 2004 Stefan wrote:
> > Stefan, thanks a lot, though I am still not sure I understand
> > correctly what you say. If I understand you right
>
> > (standard-display-default 128 255)
>
> > should work if I am not in unibyte mode.
>
> Yes, but it only applies to chars in the 128-255 range (in the
> domain of the chars internal to Emacs, not in latin-1, or koi-8,
> or whathaveyou).

Thanks, I believe I understand what you mean.

> When not in multibyte mode, most likely your umlaute are correctly
> recognized as latin-1 and represented as latin-1 chars internally
> (with codepoints around 2200 or 2300 IIRC). Try C-u C-x = on one
> of those chars.

The codepoint in my particular example is 228:

  character: ä (0344, 228, 0xe4)
    charset: eight-bit-graphic (8-bit graphic char (0xA0..0xFF))
 code point: 228
     syntax: w  which means: word
buffer code: 0xE4
  file code: 0xE4 (encoded by coding system raw-text-unix)
    display: by display table entry [?] (see below)

The display table entry is displayed by these fonts (glyph codes):
ä: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--20-200-75-75-C-100-ISO8859-1 (0xE4)

> To see the octal sequence try: open the file in unibyte mode, then type
> M-x toggle-enable-multibyte-characters RET.

When I load the file in an emacs --unibyte, then I type
M-x toggle-enable-multibyte-characters RET
nothing happens.

Roland