Re: doc string of `local-variable-if-set-p'

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: doc string of `local-variable-if-set-p'
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:53:56 -0500 (CDT)

Masatake YAMATO wrote:

   I thought this should be

   (2) Non-nil if VARIABLE will be local in buffer BUFFER *and* if it is set
there.
       BUFFER defaults to the current buffer.

   or

   (3) Non-nil if VARIABLE will be local in buffer BUFFER and if VARIABLE is
set in BUFFER.
       BUFFER defaults to the current buffer.

   If you think (1) is ok as English, please ignore me; and I'll go back
   to an English class room in a junior high school.

I believe you are misunderstanding what the function does:

ELISP> (make-variable-buffer-local 'var)
var
ELISP> (local-variable-p 'var)
nil
ELISP> (local-variable-if-set-p 'var)

That said, the first line is 70 characters and the maximum allowed is
67.  English is not my native language, but I believe that the "double
if" is not invalid English.  It is probably not great style either.  I
believe that the following new first line fixes both length and style:

   Non-nil if VARIABLE will be local in buffer BUFFER when set there.

That is 66 characters.  I will commit this change if there are no
objections.

Sincerely,

Luc.