Re: mouse clicks on tool-bar -- why not recognize different mouse button

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: mouse clicks on tool-bar -- why not recognize different mouse buttons?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:20:43 +0530

On 15 Oct 2004 09:02:17 +0200, Miguel Frasson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Other mouse buttons could be bound, for example, for a popup menu for
> customization, properties or related actions.  In firefox (maybe mozilla
> is the same), for instance, a right click in the bookmark toolbar allows
> customization.  It would be interesting to allow user to customize a
> toolbar button, if it makes sense, by right-clicking on it, and selecting
> "Customize this button", or "customize toolbar" there.  Think in a "Print"
> button.  One can just print pushing it, but one could select printer,
> select printing options, etc.  Why allow Control + click and not
> right-button click, for instance?

My views, I may be wrong though:
Usually, all right mouse button clicks are made to show Contextual
Menus, which means based on the context where the user has clicked,
the appropriate menus are shown. I guess this is a standard Windoze
GUI behavior. Each entity can over ride some methods (we do it through
C++ interfaces in our development) which will show the context
specific menu. I feel it is a good idea to let each entity to decide
what needs to be show when a RMB click is done. The emacs engine must
just identify the entity under the cursor and call it's implementation
of the contextual menu.

with best regards,
dhruva

--