Re: doc string of `local-variable-if-set-p'

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: doc string of `local-variable-if-set-p'
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:30:55 -0500 (CDT)

Daniel Brockman wrote:

   I think this is good.  I would just rearrange the clauses slightly:

   DEFUN ("local-variable-if-set-p", Flocal_variable_if_set_p,
Slocal_variable_if_set_p,
          1, 2, 0,
          doc: /* Non-nil if VARIABLE will be local in BUFFER when set there.
   More precisely, this means that setting the variable (with `set' or `setq')
   will produce a buffer-local binding, unless the variable already has
   a `let'-style binding that was made in BUFFER.
   See Info node `(elisp)Creating Buffer-Local'.
   BUFFER must be a buffer \(not a buffer name) and defaults to
   the current buffer.  */)

I am a little bit concerned that "unless the variable already has a
`let'-style binding that was made in BUFFER" seems to suggest that in
that case definitely no local binding will be made, whereas it
actually depends on the situation.

    More precisely, this means that setting the variable \(with `set'
    or`setq'), while it does not have a `let'-style binding that was made
    in BUFFER, will produce a buffer local binding.

does not suggest that.

Moreover the "already" in "already has a let-style binding" sounds a
little bit strange, since let-bindings are temporary.

Sincerely,

Luc.