Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how-many/count-matches for non-interactive use
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:51:56 -0400

    > It seems that interactive-p as currently defined is very rarely useful
    > -- perhaps never.  Perhaps we should change interactive-p to ignore
    > whether the command is running from a macro and do what most people
    > seem to expect.

    I think we should declare it obsolete because the alternative (of adding an
    argument) is always clearer, less brittle, and allows callers better
    control.

Before we say it is obsolete, we had better see if anyone does really
want it.  It would be very good for someone to determine which, if
any, of the current uses of interactive-p really want the current
behavior of interactive-p.