Building Emacs from CVS on windows nt failed

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Building Emacs from CVS on windows nt failed
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:42:52 +0200

I took some time to download the CVS version and started building it. It
fails in make boostrap with the following:

Wrote c:/emacscvs/emacs/lisp/finder-inf.el
touch cus-load.el
Can't touch cus-load.el - No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [cus-load.el] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/emacscvs/emacs/lisp'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

I guess it is not very important in this case (cus-load.el seems to be
missing, can't find it in WebCVS either), but I am using current MinGW and
MSYS.

I have however another point about this. When things fail on ms windows you
immediately starting wondering whether the build process for ms windows is
updated or not. I am very far from beeing a compiler expert and posix
expert, but I wonder if it would not be better merge the building processes
so that windows nt was built the same way as the unix or GNU/Linux builds? I
have got the impression that several people would like something like that
to happen.

I wonder if MSYS is enough for that? Is the make that comes with MSYS GNU
make? Is the MSYS shell good enough? Are the any problems with building with
MSVC? Maybe the NMakeFile is built by the MSVC?

I can understand that a separate build process for ms windows was once
created. My question is whether it is still useful or something that takes
extra time for many people.

- Lennart