finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:27:23 -0700

Silly comment, I know, but this has been bugging me, so I guess I'll get it
off my chest.

The default mouse pointer for mouse-face text is now an index-finger
pointing hand. That pointer is commonly used by Web browsers to indicate
that the pointer is over a hyperlink or an action button, so that's
presumably the reason it is now used in Emacs for the same thing.

However, in common Web browsers, the mouse button to activate such a link or
button is mouse-1, not mouse-2. What bugs me is that the index-finger
pointer suggests to me to use mouse-1, because the index finger (wired, in
my head, to mouse-1) is the one doing the pointing.

I know, I must be nuts, but I still fall for this subliminal suggestion, and
I try to click with mouse-1!  Brain dead, I guess - time for a vacation.

Anyway, I'm _not_ suggesting we use a pointer graphic with the middle finger
:-)! But I wonder if anyone else thinks we should choose a different default
pointer because of this possible confusion. No, I don't have an alternative
pointer in mind.

 - Drew