RE: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:12:50 -0700

Kim, you convinced me (at least).

On mouse-face links, users can get by with other ways to select text, as you
mention (drag, use keyboard etc.), so we could use mouse-1 for link & button
clicks (as a user option).

My only gripe was that the finger-1 pointer graphic didn't fit the
mouse-2-click behavior, so if we changed to mouse-1, that would be fine.

BTW, isn't the behavior you propose what we have already in Customize
buffers?

-----Original Message-----From: Kim F. Storm
using mouse-2 is a serious flaw in the emacs user interface.
For example, on my notebook, the touchpad doesn't have mouse-2, so
I'm forced to click two mouse buttons

Most other applications manage just fine to allow a user to use mouse-1 for
both setting the point, marking a region, and following a link.

My patch to mouse-drag-region-1 was a sample of how to do use mouse-1
in addition to mouse-2 to following links in emacs too. The only real
problem is how to mark text in the middle of a link -- but IMO that's a much
less frequent operation that following the link.

And with my patch, you can actually still DRAG to mark, it's only the
single click that doesn't just set the mark, but follows the link as
well.  I don't see ANY problem with that. At least, we could make it a user
option