Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:05:30 +0200

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Furthermore, as Stefan pointed out, CVS logs are typically not as
>> necessary in GNU projects because the info is usually already there in
>> the ChangeLogs (often in a more useful form).
>
> Actually, it's not the logs by themselves that I use -- it's the
> ability to see "oh, that person checked in that thing; I wonder what
> the diff is".  And the answer is just a `C-u C-x v =' away...
>
> By doing rm/add we'd lose that.
>
>> The problem is that you're changing history:  By renaming the ,v file,
>> in effective you retroactively rename the file in old versions too.  So
>> sombody that tries to check out an old version using a tag (or -D...)
>> will see the old version _with the more recent renames applied_.
>
> Ah; I hadn't thought about that...  that does seem like a
> inconvenience.  Hm...

Here's a way to make it work with CVS:

COPY the ,v files to the new place.
For each ACTIVE/DEVELOPMENT branch, do cvs rm in the old place.
For each PASSIVE/MAINTENANCE branch, do cvs rm in the NEW place.

Then when you checkout from trunk or ACTIVE branch, you get the
files in the NEW place (with all the history).

If you checkout on a PASSIVE/MAINTENANCE branch, or an older version
on the trunk, you get the files in the OLD place (with all the
history) AND in the NEW place (with all the history).

In the latter case, you can just ignore the copy in the NEW place
while working in the OLD place -- or ignore the OLD copy if you
are working in the NEW place (on trunk).