Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:45:45 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am not claiming that this is the ultimate reason or whatever, I am
>> just pointing out that in this case it would be problematic.
>
> My mouse-1 patch only sets in with links that have mouse-face.
>
> Why do preview-latex images need to have mouse-face property ?
> Images can have mouse-2 bindings even without that.

But the mouse-face property is the normal way to indicate that using
mouse-2 will do something different from pasting.

>> In addition, we have to be aware that clickable fields are usually
>> implemented with keymaps.  And that means that there is no way to
>> magically change all buttons in all applications: it is a
>> convention rather than an API.  If we want to change to a different
>> convention, we first need to define an API where the current
>> convention is accessible to outside packages, then wait for a few
>> releases with the old convention in place, and then try changing
>> the default and weather the inconsistency storm from packages that
>> have not yet adhered to the API telling it what mouse buttons to
>> use.
>
> If mouse-1 has a non-standard binding on a link, my patch obeys that
> binding.

So what?  preview-latex images don't have a non-standard binding for
mouse-1.  So I am citing it as an example that will cause trouble and
requires a migration plan instead of a sudden change.