Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:03:51 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why do preview-latex images need to have mouse-face property ?
>> Images can have mouse-2 bindings even without that.
>
> But the mouse-face property is the normal way to indicate that using
> mouse-2 will do something different from pasting.

What visible effect do you get for an image when moving the mouse over it?

You can also change the mouse pointer shape.

>>> In addition, we have to be aware that clickable fields are usually
>>> implemented with keymaps.  And that means that there is no way to
>>> magically change all buttons in all applications: it is a
>>> convention rather than an API.  If we want to change to a different
>>> convention, we first need to define an API where the current
>>> convention is accessible to outside packages, then wait for a few
>>> releases with the old convention in place, and then try changing
>>> the default and weather the inconsistency storm from packages that
>>> have not yet adhered to the API telling it what mouse buttons to
>>> use.
>>
>> If mouse-1 has a non-standard binding on a link, my patch obeys that
>> binding.
>
> So what?  preview-latex images don't have a non-standard binding for
> mouse-1.  So I am citing it as an example that will cause trouble and
> requires a migration plan instead of a sudden change.

It was one way to avoid the mouse-1 remapping (by trivial code rewrite).

I have little hope of finding a perfect solution (i.e. one which works
for everything without anything having to adapt to some kind of method
to fine-tune the behaviour in specific cases).  Maybe it's ok if it
works in 95% of all cases (and the remaning 5% must be tweaked a
little to work).

Link on images may be special anyway -- so perhaps I shouldn't remap
over an image.

Maybe it should be mode specific, i.e. only do this if buffer is in
some known major mode (e.g. info, help, gnus summary, custom).

e.g.

(put 'help-mode 'map-links t)
(put 'info-mode 'map-links t)

could later be enhanced to support:

(put 'preview-latex-mode 'map-links 'text-only)