emacs manual checking attempt

From: Joakim Verona
Subject: emacs manual checking attempt
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:01:01 +0200

Hello list,

I tried proofreading one section of the emacs lisp manual.

This is the first time I attempt to do this, so take my suggestions
with a grain of salt.

I simply took the first one not having a reader from
etc/admin/FOR-RELEASE, which was the "Advising Emacs Lisp Functions"
section.

I would appreciate your advice regarding if my comments below are at
all useful for the manual checking effor, or if I should redo something.

Regards,
/Joakim

** "A simple advice example"

The example works, but maybe this line could be made more clear:
(setq next-line-add-newlines t)

** "Defining Advice"

"classes" doesn't seem complete.  Activation and
deactivation classes are missing

The flag "freeze" is not mentioned.

The below string:

- Command: ad-unadvise function

appears rather abruptly, it feels like there is some context missing.

** Around-Advice

     This is not really a variable, but it is somewhat used like one
in around-advice

The above sentence feels insecure, some more definitive language
should be used like "this is used like a place-holder that will be
substituted..."

** activation of advice

This paragraph feels unnecessarily cluttered:

   To activate advice for a function whose advice is already active is
not a no-op.  It is a useful operation which puts into effect any
changes in that function's advice since the previous activation of
advice for that function.

In the description for User Option ad-default-compilation-action: the
possible value 'never' is not described.