RE: uppercase var names in docstrings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: uppercase var names in docstrings
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:30:39 -0700

FWIW, my impression is the same as Stefan's.

I think it might be good to try bold italic (and lowercase); I believe that
would stand out sufficiently. If bold italic is not supported by a given
face, then bold would be a good second choice, plain uppercase being a third
choice. - Drew

-----Original Message-----From: Stefan
A few months ago, the help code was changed so that C-h f now looks for the
uppercase variable names and makes them lowercase&italics (if the terminal
supports it).

I waited to see how I'd like it and I must say that I'm actually annoyed by
the lowercasing: it makes it much harder for me to find the spot in
a docstring where the use of a particular argument is described.

Basically the problem is that varnames don't stand out as much as before,
since the only thing that distinguishes them from normal text is
the italics.

Of course I can change my own setting easily, but if I'm not the only
oddball who feels this way, maybe it'd better to change the default so that
such varnames are only made italics but not lowercase.