Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: garbage prevents copy from *grep* buffer
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:45:45 +0300

>  > When I run `M-x grep' to discover a URL in an HTML file, I see this:
>  >
>  >   rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a
> href="http://www.goldenhillfarm.com";>
>  >
>  > rather than:
>  >
>  >   rattlesnake-home-page.html:140:<li> <a
> href="http://www.goldenhillfarm.com";>
>  >
>  > I cannot copy and paste
>  >
>  >     http://www.goldenhillfarm.com
>  >
>  > to either Emacs W3 mode or Mozilla to fetch the specified page.
>
> Similar anomalies occur when you cut and paste titles or nodes in info (this
> doesn't happen in 21.2). Perhaps this isn't a very common task but I should
> think that, as a general rule, when you cut and paste you get what you see.

Implementing a new option `kill-as-displayed' might help to make
the behavior of killing/yanking of invisible text more natural.
However, there are other problems with invisible grep markers like
isearch failing to find a string with invisible markers inside.

Since no one likes invisible grep markers, they should be deleted
from the grep buffer even at the cost of losing the ability to restore
their highlighting after saving and reloading the grep buffer, or even
after modifying the lines with grep matches.

[There were a few problems with deleting grep markers with font-lock
machinery.  I will take care of that.]

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/