Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:48:35 -0400

    What you typically cannot do directly is set the mouse in the
    middle of a link.  Typically you would use mouse-3 (right mouse)
    to get a context menu for the link, and then cancel the menu.

Mouse-3 in Emacs does not move point; if you cancel the menu,
it won't do anything, so point won't move.

Maybe it is good enough to be able to drag the mouse into the area
and then release it and ignore the mark setting that it made.

This is the sort of change for which we need to conduct a poll of the
users.

    Maybe in our case, if we enable this feature (as a user option)
    clicking mouse-2 on a link should just set point there?

That sounds rather strange and backwards.