Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:58:32 -0700

Hmm, well I've not looked at emacsclient for nigh on ten years so it doesn't exactly suprise me that there is no longer much difference between gnuclient and emacsclient.

I'd be more than happy to take a look at the two of them again and see what needs to be done to get emacsclient up and running on Windows. That said I've been very happy with what gnuclient offers, which is why I've not bothered changing it for quite a long time - heck I think that the download on my site is dated something like 1996.

Anyway I'll take a look at see what's involved.

Guy

http://www.wyrdrune.com/gnuserv.html

Jason Rumney wrote:

We could consider merging gnuserv into Emacs.  That is not a trivial
decision.  Why do you think this is desirable to do?

I seem to recall we considered it about 2 years ago. We managed to get
most, but not all papers for it. In the meantime, the extra features
that gnuclient/gnuserv has were added to emacsclient/emacsserver, so
there was no need to pusue it further, except for Windows where
gnuserv has been ported, but emacsserver has not. But it is probably
just as easy to make emacsserver/emacsclient work on Windows as it
would be to replace the parts of gnuserv that we cannot get papers for.
.