Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:14:45 +0100

Guy Gascoigne-Piggford <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd be more than happy to take a look at the two of them again and see
> what needs to be done to get emacsclient up and running on
> Windows. That said I've been very happy with what gnuclient offers,
> which is why I've not bothered changing it for quite a long time -
> heck I think that the download on my site is dated something like
> 1996.
>
> Anyway I'll take a look at see what's involved.

Thanks. I think the main area that needs porting is the use of
unix domain sockets for communicating between emacsclient and the
server. I think there are some security issues with changing to
TCP or UDP sockets (this has been discussed in the past too), so
mailslots are probably the best replacement on Windows.