Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:46:42 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Guy Gascoigne-Piggford <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'd be more than happy to take a look at the two of them again and see
>> what needs to be done to get emacsclient up and running on
>> Windows. That said I've been very happy with what gnuclient offers,
>> which is why I've not bothered changing it for quite a long time -
>> heck I think that the download on my site is dated something like
>> 1996.
>>
>> Anyway I'll take a look at see what's involved.

IIRC it has been discussed here on the list before.

> Thanks. I think the main area that needs porting is the use of
> unix domain sockets for communicating between emacsclient and the
> server.

Notice that the server is built-in using make-network-process.
As emacs doesn't support mail slots, you need to find an alternative.

I recall a discussion on emacs-devel about adding mailslots support in
make-network-process.  Try google for it.

>         I think there are some security issues with changing to
> TCP or UDP sockets (this has been discussed in the past too), so
> mailslots are probably the best replacement on Windows.

Try google for those too.