Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:10:37 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> Maybe it is good enough to be able to drag the mouse into the area
>> and then release it and ignore the mark setting that it made.
>>
>> This is the sort of change for which we need to conduct a poll of the
>> users.
>
> I found a simpler solution which works really well, as it provides the
> fallback directly on mouse-1 itself:
>
> Measure the time between the mouse-1 down event and the up event, and
> if it less than 300 ms (configurable), follow the link, else do what
> mouse-1 normally does.
>
> So a "fast" click follows the link, a slightly slower click sets the
> point (or whatever mouse-1 does).  Dragging the mouse also inhibits
> following the link.

Actually, for me this is somewhat backward: I use a touchpad, and
setting the cursor is naturally done by tapping (which is short),
while following a link currently is done by pressing both mouse keys
together (which by necessity is longer).  Since setting the cursor is
usually followed by typing ahead soon, one wants to continue fast
(because you continue at the point at which you usually look).
Whereas if you follow the link, you are waiting for something to
happen.

So I'd very much prefer making the long press follow the link, even
though a long press is more likely to get interpreted as a drag
instead.

Perhaps the sign of that variable can be used for specifying whether
the long or the short duration means following the link?  Positive
means longer than given duration, negative means shorter?