Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:39:20 +0200

Hi Jason,

Jason Rumney writes:
> emacs_dir is always replaced with the generated value. The only time
> it is not is if Emacs can't work out what the generated value should
> be (you have installed in a non-standard directory).

You mean if it is not running from within a standard installation tree
(in any top-level directory).

> The other values in the registry are the same as the defaults. Emacs
> will actually work now with nothing in the registry, the main reason
> for setting them in the install program is that older versions used
> hard-coded paths (not relative to emacs_dir), which may cause
> problems if they point to a different version, so we want to replace
> the old values.

So Lennart has a point there.  The variables are not needed.  They
should probably be removed by the installer, if they exist, instead of
overwriting them with unneeded values.  Or am I missing something?

benny