Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:25:21 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Rumney" <address@hidden>
To: "Benjamin Riefenstahl" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Emacs Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 10:02 PM

: Benjamin Riefenstahl <address@hidden> writes:
:
: > So Lennart has a point there.  The variables are not needed.  They
: > should probably be removed by the installer, if they exist, instead of
: > overwriting them with unneeded values.  Or am I missing something?
:
: Someone else has pointed out that some versions of gnuclient rely on
: emacs_dir being set. If we are going to leave emacs_dir, we might as
: well leave the others. It makes it easier for the user to see what
: variables are available if they want to change anything.

It was me. But maybe this whole discussion is obsolete if emacsclient.exe is
ported to ms windows. I guess it will then recognize where it is loaded from
and that will make all the registry keys in Software\GNU\Emacs unnecessary.
Until that is done I think that no value except emacs_dir should be written.
Maybe cleaning can wait. (I do not know if the other values are ever read
now?)

- Lennart