Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:31:33 -0400

> I found a simpler solution which works really well, as it provides the
> fallback directly on mouse-1 itself:

> Measure the time between the mouse-1 down event and the up event, and
> if it less than 300 ms (configurable), follow the link, else do what
> mouse-1 normally does.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me.  Working with X11-over-DSL means that
timing is rather unreliable.  Same thing with heavy-swapping (as happens
when a I do `tla star-merge' :-( ).

And even if the timing could be measured accurately, I don't find the "hold
the mouse button longer" to be intuitive at all for "move point".

I think we're trying to squeeze too much info in those events.  I'm quite
happy with the distinction between click and drag but I don't think we
should go further than that.

        Stefan

PS: David, could you explain exactly what's the problem with Kim's suggested
    patch and latex-preview?  What is the behavior of latex-preview in the
    case of mouse-1 and in the case of mouse-2?  Is mouse-face applied to
    the actual text or just to the (before|after)-string?