Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:06:42 +0200

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't think we need to do this for 21.4 -- as the fix is only used
>> on (mostly) single user windoze.
>
> I guess if it's only used on w32 and we only bind to 127.0.0.1, it'd
> be acceptable.  But note that using a well-known port is a problem (we'd
> need to get it registered, ...).

You don't need to register the port -- there are numerous well-known
but unregistered ports used everywhere.  And this port is only going
to be used locally -- not critical at all.

If you need to make it configurable, use a emacs-server-port variable
in emacs, and an environment variable (or registry key) in the client.

>                                   Better to let the OS choose the port and
> then store it in a file that emacsclient can read.  At that point, adding
> a secret random key to it isn't that much extra work.

Don't you need to add support for that random key to the protocol ?