Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:13:18 -0400

    Measure the time between the mouse-1 down event and the up event, and
    if it less than 300 ms (configurable), follow the link, else do what
    mouse-1 normally does.

That could be a very good solution.  If the user gets distracted and
holds the button down too long, nothing bad happens, so he can easily
try again.  I like it!

However, what about double-clicking?  I think that won't be easy to do.
The user will have to hold the first click longer, then quickly
click again.

We could solve this problem by waiting for double-click-time before
following the link.  Could you give that a try and see if the behavior
is still ok?

    So I'd very much prefer making the long press follow the link, even
    though a long press is more likely to get interpreted as a drag
    instead.

That seems more convenient, since it does not get in the way of double
clicks, and it follows the principle that you do more to get a bigger
action.  However, it has the drawback that beginners just clicking
around won't know to try it.  They might try an ordinary click, see it
doesn't follow the link, and give up.

So maybe the short click, on a link, should display a message saying
"Hold the button down for .3 seconds to follow the link".