Re: Move sha1.el and hex-util.el from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Move sha1.el and hex-util.el from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:23:23 +0200

> I think moving sha1.el is a good idea.  It may as well be documented
> near were MD5 is documented.

OK.

>     The file sha1.el needs hex-util.el, which is a small file to hex
>     encode strings.
>
> These functions don't seem useful enough to make generally available,
> but you could rename them and include them in sha1.el.

The functions in hex-util.el are used by hmac-md5.el, sasl-cram.el,
sasl-digest.el, and sha1.el in Gnus CVS.  Further, at least rfc2104.el
contain re-implementation of the functionality in hex-util.el.
Changing the calls in hmac-md5.el and sasl*.el to call sha1 functions
seem wrong.

Is there a "hex" coding system, or some more native way to hex encode
some data?

If not, I believe hex-util.el do make sense.