Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: finger-pointer curser as default for mouse-face text
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:35:34 -0400

> If the time stamps for the clicks indeed come from the X server, then
> Kim's timed scheme would probably not be very susceptible to system
> load/traffic congestion effects.

The problm with it is that it goes against what we're trying to do, which is
to get Emacs's UI in line with "what non-Emacs users expect".
I.e. such users will just do a simple click and expect it to follow
the link.

Adding a message saying "please keep the button pressed longer if you want
to follow the link" is really not much better than adding a message that
says "use mouse-2 if you want to follow the link".

And if you add to the equation the extra code and conceptual complexity of
using timing-dependent information, I find it ends up a loser.

> After all, we have the same problem with recognizing double-clicks.

Sure.  But users have wanted double-clicks, so we gave it to them.
Users's aren't asking for variable-duration clicks.  OTOH users are quite
used to not being able to move cursor into a link by just left-clicking on
it.  It may annoy them at times, but it seems to annoy them less than having
to use mouse-2.

        Stefan